Pillar of Light

This shot is from my first stop along the Salton Sea last month. I turned off the highway onto an old dilapidated road that led to the sea with no idea what was awaiting me. This was the most accessible building, so I beelined towards it as soon as I parked to fire off my first few sets of brackets. I’m not sure if you can tell from this shot, but there was an unbelievable amount of bird crap in this place…I definitely felt sorry for my tripod legs ๐Ÿ™

Initially, I wasn’t sure if this was going to turn out. The lack of a physical focal point was a concern, but when taking the photo I was hoping the two large sources of light would be enough. I feel the hard pillar of light coming from the doorway behind and to my left provided a great source of depth and contrast and helped lead the eye through the frame to the view of the Salton sea beyond. I think this image shows that even if a physical focal point isn’t present, a great source of light can function in a similar way.

Canon EOS 50D, Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, 10mm, F 11, ISO 100

Mike Olbinski - February 11, 2011 - 7:26 am

Awesome…love the light!

I never knew until I got into it a bit more how much bird poop dominates your urban exploration experiences ๐Ÿ™‚

Tweets that mention Pillar of Light ยป Heath O'Fee Photography -- Topsy.com - February 11, 2011 - 7:41 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Adam Olson, Heath O'Fee. Heath O'Fee said: New photo up on the blog: 'Pillar of Light' http://bit.ly/hUISAG #photog #HDR #urbex […]

Jesse Pafundi - February 11, 2011 - 7:57 am

Love the way you incorporate light like this into your images. It always makes for an interesting shot.

gene lowinger - February 11, 2011 - 8:27 am

much better than baby pictures

Mike Olbinski - February 11, 2011 - 8:40 am

Dunno who “gene” is…but he’s got my vote for lamest comment of the year so far.

Which is saying something cause I had a doozy on my blog this morning ๐Ÿ™‚

Chris Kenison - February 11, 2011 - 9:47 am

Great shot, Heath. The bar of light directs the eye down the picture to the rest of the scene. Very well done!

Steve Beal - February 11, 2011 - 10:07 am

I like that we all mix it up a little bit, baby pix, etc. This shot is way cool, I agree that the light helps lead the eye, smaller aperture works really well here.

Tanya - February 11, 2011 - 11:57 am

Well, I sure hope the tripod is clean by the time you give it to me ๐Ÿ˜›

Another great capture to add to your rapidly expanding portfolio. Your talent to capture such fabulous shots of buildings, landscapes, people and children is such a gift. Keep up the great work!

PS – a nice rule to live by in life. If there’s nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. ๐Ÿ™‚

James Brandon - February 11, 2011 - 12:17 pm

love that light coming in Heath, it’s really interesting to you come up with these unique comps from this otherwise dull location. good stuff!

andy gimino - February 11, 2011 - 8:42 pm

Nice shot heath…i like the small opening in the building and the sea the background. It gives you hope that there is something better waiting for you beyond the old building and bird poop.

murphyz - February 14, 2011 - 6:15 am

I like the contrast between the old ruinous building the viewer is in and the beautiful waters and land on the outside.