New Blog, New Eyes, and The Eye of a Monster

As I type this blog post I am still marveling at the miracle that is laser vision correction. I’ve worn glasses or contact lenses since I was 11 years old, and the fact that I can now wake up and go about my daily activities without needing either is really nothing short of a miracle. I’ll publish a full summary of my experiences in a week or so, but for now…on to the more exciting news: I’ve launched my new blog today!! For a long time now I’ve thought about shedding the yycofee.wordpress.com URL and moving on to a more professional photographer’s name here . com style hosting platform, but only made the plunge into getting my own domain name and hosting a couple of months ago. Since then, I’ve been working off and on trying to sift through the infinite customization options offered by my WordPress theme trying to get things looking *mostly* the way I like. The hardest part by far was trying to create a logo/header…so any feedback you have on that would be appreciated. I’m sure over the course of the coming months I’ll notice things that I want to change/add/remove, so bear with me, I just really wanted to get this thing live! On the off chance that you’re a current subscriber to my old RSS feed, you can re-subscribe to the new feed here. And if anyone still uses bookmarks and happened to have my old blog marked, don’t forget to add heathofee.com to your list!

Yesterday, I went for my first short photowalk after my eye surgery, and since my car is still parked across the city, I was limited to wherever my feet could carry me. I’ve said this before, but I live in a relatively new development, so there are still a number of large construction vehicles around almost all the time. I had walked the dog earlier in the day and saw a couple of these construction giants that I wanted to capture when I went back out with the camera…unfortunately, two of the three I wanted to shoot were in use by the time I returned. So…with only one of my locations still available, I tried to make the best of it and ended up with a few usable brackets from the one construction vehicle….the first is below:

Canon EOS 50D, Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5, 10mm, F 16, ISO 100, 5 Exposures

Mike Olbinski - September 29, 2010 - 12:58 pm

Sweeeeeeeet new blog man, love it! Congrats on the whole deal, I’m kind of glad in a way because I hate subscribing to comments on the yourname.wordpress.com blogs, they always make you confirm through email…UGH!

Congrats on the eye surgery too…my corneas are all shaped funny, so I was never able to do it 🙁

And this photo is fantastic. I can imagine two giant arms meshed with those two tiny eyes in the middle of the machine 🙂

Mike Olbinski - September 29, 2010 - 12:59 pm

Oh, you need to add the Subscribe to Comments plugin 🙂

Brian Matiash - September 29, 2010 - 1:35 pm

Congrats on the redesign, dude! Best of luck with it. I’m looking forward to seeing the images that you fill this theme up with.

And cheers to a speedy recovery!

Heath OFee - September 29, 2010 - 4:54 pm

Mike: Glad I could make your life easier by moving my blog to a new platform 😉 Oh, and I just installed the Subscribe to Comments plugin, so you should be in heaven now 🙂

Brian: Thanks very much! I’m super happy with it and can’t wait keep sharing with all of you guys 🙂

Mark Garbowski - September 29, 2010 - 5:42 pm

Congrats on both the new eyes and the new blog. I like the logo and everything looks good, but as you might already have noticed, the Usage and About Me areas are almost impossible to read with grey text on a black background.
Thanks for the blogroll inclusion – I’ve added this bog to my roll, and the comments above also prompted me to add the Subscribe to Comments plugin that I had somehow never gotten around to adding to my site until now, so that’s another plus.
And, oh yeah, cool shot! 🙂

Heath OFee - September 29, 2010 - 5:53 pm

Thanks, Mark! And that is good advice on the readability…will fix that right now! Thanks for the inclusion in your blogroll, it’s much appreciated!

DARYL (BUTCH) BUTCHER - September 29, 2010 - 7:28 pm

You are bookmarked. Good luck and good hunting.

Heath OFee - September 29, 2010 - 9:29 pm

Thank you, sir!

Chelsey - September 30, 2010 - 4:01 pm

The new website is great! I think the logo is really nifty. Congratulations on placing in the Buildex photo contest by the way! IMO they’re fools for not giving you first place.

Heath O'Fee - September 30, 2010 - 11:08 am

Thanks Chelsey, you’re too kind!

John Tammaro - September 30, 2010 - 11:15 am

Love the picture and the blog looks great. Glad the eye surgery went well. Something I would like to do in the next couple of years.

Heath O'Fee - October 1, 2010 - 10:28 am

Thanks, John! The eye surgery was fantastic…definitely worth it. Waking up and not having to put glasses on is a great feeling!